Coffee and Coverage: Does Medicare Cover Ostomy Supplies?

medicare, ostomy supplies coverage
Medicare News

Get the Latest Medicare News!

Know your rights! Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest details on all things Medicare.

Join our Newsletter!

Medicare will typically cover the costs of ostomy supplies for beneficiaries that have had procedures such as colostomy, urinary ostomy, or ileostomy.

What are ostomy supplies?

Ostomy supplies and accessories can help ensure a secure seal after a procedure such as a colostomy, ileostomy, or urinary ostomy. Ostomy accessories are used to further protect the stoma, secure a tight seal, and keep the skin around the stoma separate from bodily waste.

There are several different types of ostomy supplies. Each one does something specific and the Medicare coverage may vary on how often and how much you can purchase it.

  • Pouching Systems
  • Pouch Support
  • Stoma Paste
  • Barrier Rings and Seals
  • Skin Prep
  • Odor Control
book

Stay in the Know

Keep up-to-date on costs, rules, and politics that affect your Medicare. Sign up today.

book

Stay in the Know

Keep up-to-date on costs, rules, and politics that affect your Medicare. Sign up today.

Medicare coverage

Medicare does not usually cover all costs when it comes to ostomy products, but it will cover 80 percent of each order. You are responsible for the remaining 20 percent. However, if you have a Medicare supplemental insurance plan or a replacement plan that covers all expenses, you may be able to get your ostomy supplies entirely free, with no out-of-pocket costs.

Whether you have full coverage or not, going through your insurance plan is a cheaper option than paying entirely out-of-pocket. You may need to consider the supply limits within a 30- or 90-day range in order to have Medicare pay their part of expenses.

The following ostomy supplies and the quantity are covered by Medicare per month:

  • Drainable ostomy pouches – up to 20
  • Urostomy pouches – up to 20
  • Closed ostomy pouches – up to 60
  • Skin barrier with flange – up to 20
  • Adhesive remover wipes – 150 every 3 months
  • Ostomy belt – 1
  • Skin barrier paste – 4 oz. tube
  • Protective barrier wipes – 150 every 6 months
  • Protective powder – 10 oz. every 6 months
Doctor

How Does Medicare Work?

How can you get Medicare to work best for you? Be in the know. Subscribe today.

Doctor

How Does Medicare Work?

How can you get Medicare to work best for you? Be in the know. Subscribe today.

Up Next...

blog image

Medicare World Blog

SEE ALL POSTS