Coffee & Coverage: What Medicare Covers for Orthotics

orthotics, medicare coverage

Maximize Your Medicare Today!

Save up to 75% on prescriptions and even get extended coverage.

Injuries like sprains and tears in the ligaments, tendons, muscles, and joints are most commonly associated with the need to wear orthotic braces. What people don’t know is that orthotic braces are also needed for conditions that can develop from simply using those ligaments, over years or decades. Orthotics can come in handy with many conditions that our bodies develop as they age, even without previous injuries. Here’s what Medicare will cover for orthotics to correct these ailments. 

What are orthotics?

Orthotic braces support, align, relieve, and correct problems of different parts of the body like the ankle, knee, and back. The term orthotics generally refers to corrective shoes and shoe inserts that offer support to correct different conditions that can cause pain or discomfort. 

Orthotics can help with conditions like:

  • Arthritis
  • Back pain
  • Bunions
  • Bursitis
  • Diabetes
  • Flat feet
  • Hammertoes
  • High arches
  • Plantar fasciitis
  • Sports injuries

What are the different orthotics?

The three types of orthotics are: 

  1. Over-the-counter (OTC). You can purchase these off the shelf at a drugstore and cut them to fit in your shoe. 
  2. Kiosk-generated. Some drug stores may have a machine that asks you to stand on a pad which then measures your foot size, arch, and weight distribution. It will then recommend a brand and size based on the measurements. 
  3. Prescription. Prescribed from an orthopedic specialist, the doctor will take an impression of your foot and order a custom-made shoe or insert for you after assessing your lifestyle, level of activity, medical condition, height, foot rigidity and flexibility, and more. 

The difference between these orthotics can be compared to over-the-counter (OTC) vs. prescription glasses; the more severe the condition, the more likely it is you will need a prescription orthotic shoe or insert. 


Signup for Our Newsletter!

The Medicare World Plus blog is updated weekly. Stay in the know with the latest news.

Medicare coverage

Medicare Part B covers custom-made orthotic shoes and orthotic inserts as durable medical equipment (DME) as long as they are:

  • Deemed medically necessary by a doctor, 
  • Prescribed by a Medicare-approved doctor, and 
  • Purchased from a Medicare-approved DME supplier. 

Medicare also covers the following orthotic braces under the same conditions:

  • Braces for the ankle, foot, knee, hand, elbow, wrist, back, neck, and spine; 
  • Orthopedic shoes as part of a leg brace; and
  • Prosthetic devices like artificial limbs. 

Medicare coverage for diabetes orthotics

Due to decreased blood circulation and nerve sensitivity, it’s common for people with diabetes to have foot problems. If the feet are not properly protected, a simple cut, or wound, could potentially lead to an amputation. 

If you have diabetes, Medicare will cover the annual furnishing and fitting of one of the following:

  • One pair of custom-made shoes and orthotic inserts, or
  • One pair of extra deep shoes.

The following are also covered for diabetes patients annually:

  • Two additional pairs of inserts for custom-made shoes, and
  • Three pairs of inserts for extra deep shoes. 

Medicare costs

If you meet all of the aforementioned qualifications, Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost, while you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. The Part B deductible also applies. 

Prices can range from tens of dollars for an OTC orthotic, to hundreds of dollars for a custom-made, prescription orthotic. 

Prices will also vary based on your Medicare plan, the Medicare supplier from which you buy the orthotic, and the type of orthotic you need. 

Before going to the doctor for a prescription orthotic, it is recommended to have your feet professionally measured and buy a pair of high-quality, supportive shoes to see if that will help the problem. Many adults haven’t had their feet measured since they were in high school or middle school, and the size and width of our feet can change over the span of a lifetime. 

Prescription orthotics can be expensive, so it is recommended to start with new shoes, then progress to an OTC/kiosk-generated orthotic before you see a doctor for a prescription.

Sign up for deals and more

Do you want to receive helpful articles and deals to help you save? Sign up for the Medicare World Newsletter and you will be eligible to save up to 50% on select vitamins & supplements from Walgreens. Get on the list today!


Get Discounts on Top Brands!

Exclusive deals on top brands like: Adidas, Hertz, Williams Sonoma and more.

Up Next...

blog image

Medicare World Blog

CA Residents: Privacy Notice for California Residents |