5 Services Seniors Need That Medicare Doesn’t Cover

It’s no secret that Medicare covers a wealth of preventive and medically necessary doctor’s visits and procedures. However, there are some common medical services Medicare doesn’t cover that can cost you thousands of dollars each year.

Traditional Medicare covers only 64% of most health services. That means you’re forced to pay the other 36% which includes co-payments and deductibles, out of your own pocket. It is estimated that a typical couple will ultimately need about $250,000 for medical expenses not covered by Medicare.

Medical Services Medicare Doesn’t Cover

Here are 5 common medical services many seniors need that traditional Medicare won’t pay for:

Eye Exams & Eyeglasses: Medicare doesn’t cover routine eye exams for eyeglasses or contact lenses. Although huge numbers of seniors need glasses or contacts to see clearly, Medicare typically won’t pay for them. Most seniors pay for eye care out of pocket, which can cost them over $500/yr.

Dental Care: Medicare doesn’t cover routine dental care, including cleanings, fillings and tooth extractions. The health plan also won’t pay for dentures or dental plates. Dental expenses average around $900 per year.

Hearing Aids and Exams: Medicare won’t cover routine hearing exams. Hearing aids and the exams for selecting and fitting an appropriate hearing aid are also not covered by Medicare. A hearing aid can range from $900-$3,000.

Routine Foot Care: Routine foot care, including the cutting or removal of corns and calluses or preventive maintenance of the feet, won’t be paid for by Medicare.

Long-Term Care: Medicare Part A covers care in a skilled nursing facility only after a three-day inpatient hospital stay. Retirees are limited to 100 days of covered care, after which the Medicare beneficiary becomes responsible for all costs.

The new Medicare Plus Card saves you up to 75% on things not covered by Medicare

Medicare doesn’t cover everything. Luckily, those on Medicare can now start saving on out of pocket expenses like prescription drugs, dental, vision, hearing, and more. Over 1 million people have already received their free Medicare Plus Card.

Get your Free Card Here

[mq_widget_form bkgnd=”quotes”]


Up Next...

blog image

Medicare World Blog

CA Residents: Privacy Notice for California Residents |