Hearing Test: What Does Medicare Cover?

hearing test medicare

Medicare News

Get the Latest Medicare News!

Know your rights! Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest details on all things Medicare.

Join our Newsletter!

Medicare does not cover hearing aids, but let’s find out whether it covers routine hearing tests. Hearing loss as you age is not something to be ignored. Over time, hearing loss can lead to cognitive problems, safety issues, stress, and poor health. Getting help with your hearing will improve your life and your overall wellbeing.

It can sometimes seem confusing trying to figure out what Medicare covers when it comes to taking care of your hearing. Does Medicare cover a diagnostic hearing test exam, or are you on your own?

Hearing Test

In order to properly assess the sensitivity of your hearing and your full range of speech, your doctor will need to perform a hearing test. The test will start with the quietest sound and move on to the loudest. A hearing test is also referred to as an audiogram and is conducted by an audiologist.

The audiologist will first take a look in your ears to ensure there are no blockages or other reasons for the hearing test to not take place.

They will ask you questions about your history and when you began noticing any problems with your hearing. Next, the audiologist will perform the test and it will take about 30 minutes. The test is performed one ear at a time to check for individual issues.

book

Stay in the Know

Keep up-to-date on costs, rules, and politics that affect your Medicare. Sign up today.

book

Stay in the Know

Keep up-to-date on costs, rules, and politics that affect your Medicare. Sign up today.

Medicare Coverage

Medicare will cover the costs of a diagnostic hearing and balance exam if your doctor deems it as medically necessary. However, Medicare does not cover the costs of your routine hearing exams, hearing aids, or hearing aid fittings.

Hearing and balance tests are often used to diagnose medical conditions. Medicare Part B will cover the costs for beneficiaries that are prescribed a diagnostic hearing exam by a doctor who accepts Medicare assignment.

If Medicare approves coverage for your diagnostic hearing and balance exam, you will only be responsible for 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount as well as the Part B deductible. Medicare will pay the other 80 percent of your exam fees.

To avoid any surprise charges, talk to your doctor about your coverage before making an appointment for a hearing and balance exam.

Join Medicare World Plus!

Stay up to date on the news and benefit from savings. Join Medicare World Plus for free today and enjoy deals, discounts, and exclusive access to articles and health information to improve your life. Your membership even includes access to free hearing screenings and discounts on hearing care. Don’t miss out! Join today!

Related Resources

Schumer Backs Bernie’s Expansion: Dental, Vision, Hearing Coverage

Tips on How to Approach Your Loved One About Their Hearing Loss

Doctor

How Does Medicare Work?

How can you get Medicare to work best for you? Be in the know. Subscribe today.

Doctor

How Does Medicare Work?

How can you get Medicare to work best for you? Be in the know. Subscribe today.

Up Next...

blog image

Medicare World Blog

SEE ALL POSTS