Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive part of the cannabis plant that comes with many health benefits.
Many Americans are beginning to incorporate it into their wellness routines, including 20% of seniors who suffer from many of the ailments CBD can relieve. A recent study from Remedy Review found that 51% of seniors who have tried CBD oil have experienced an improved quality of life.
Why seniors use CBD
CBD can be consumed in many ways, including orally ingesting CBD oil, eating a CBD edible, taking a CBD capsule, or even rubbing topical CBD cream onto the skin. The best method and dosage for each person will vary depending on age, metabolism, current medications, physical activity level, and other health factors.
Seniors have reported using CBD for the following health conditions:
- 42% for inflammation
- 40.9% for chronic pain
- 38.6% for insomnia
- 31.8% for arthritis
The results were astounding: 61.1% reported a reduction in pain, and 45.6% reported improved sleep quality. These study participants also reported reduced stress and anxiety, elevated moods, and higher energy levels.
7 other benefits of CBD
Last year, the Harvard Medical School posted a blog which pointed to numerous studies indicating that CBD oil is effective in stopping and reducing the frequency of seizures. Here are other benefits of using CBD.
- Pain management. Nearly half of all seniors have arthritis, and 75-85% suffer from chronic pain. Studies have shown that CBD has few to no adverse side effects, and it manages pain more effectively than NSAIDs.
- Cellular health. CBD promotes energy by strengthening cells and contributing to cellular regeneration. It is also an antioxidant that fights against free radicals more effectively than Vitamins C and E.
- Quality of sleep. Many seniors turn to sleeping medications when they have trouble falling asleep. However, these can interfere with current medications, become habit-forming, and lead to a hungover feeling the next day. CBD can calm the mind enough for you to fall asleep and avoid taking strong prescription drugs.
- Combat addiction. The country is currently facing an opioid crisis, and Americans aged 65 and older are not immune. CBD has been shown to help combat addiction.
- Improve heart health. Heart disease is the most common health condition among older adults, according to the American College of Cardiology. High blood pressure can lead to heart conditions, but a 2017 study found that CBD oil reduced resting blood pressure in 100 men.
- Deter neurodegenerative diseases. Because of the way it reacts to the brain and the central nervous system, experts believe CBD could be an effective treatment for Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis.
- Mood disorders. Everyone has mood swings, but seniors are subject to drastic shifts in mood due to things like declining health, disability, boredom, or the loss of a loved one. CBD can help regulate serotonin and alleviate stress, calm the mind, and improve cognition.
- CBD will not get you “high.” It is separate from the part of the cannabis plant that has a psychoactive effect (THC).
- CBD can be safer than many prescription or over-the-counter drugs, some of which can be habit-forming, cause adverse side effects, and damage the liver over time.
- Never stop taking one of your prescription medications because you think CBD will be more effective in treating your condition.
- Always check with your doctor before beginning any new medication regimen.