Service Details

Coverage
Find a Service

Find out if the test, item, or service is covered by Medicare

Coverage

Orthotic braces support, align, relieve, and correct problems in different parts of the body like the ankle, knee, and back. The term orthotics generally refers to corrective shoes and shoe inserts that offer support to correct different conditions that can cause pain or discomfort.

Medicare Part B covers custom-made orthotic shoes and orthotic inserts as durable medical equipment (DME) as long as they are:

  • Deemed medically necessary by a doctor
  • Prescribed by a Medicare-approved doctor
  • Purchased from a Medicare-approved DME supplier

Costs

Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost, while you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. The Part B deductible also applies.

Prices can range from tens of dollars for an over-the-counter (OTC) orthotic, to hundreds of dollars for a custom-made, prescription orthotic. Prices will also vary based on your Medicare plan, the Medicare supplier from which you buy the orthotic, and the type of orthotic you need.

What to Know

If you have diabetes, Medicare will also cover the furnishing and fitting of one of the following within a calendar year:

  • One pair of custom-made shoes and orthotic inserts, or
  • One pair of extra deep shoes.

Medicare By State

Medicare is regulated by the federal government. However, private insurance companies are allowed to offer various parts of Medicare, and these plans can differ from state to state.

blog image

Medicare World Blog

SEE ALL POSTS